- Develop and implement environmental review strategy for new projects, ensuring appropriate and efficient environmental review.
- Protect our communities, environment, and neighborhoods by ensuring that the environmental impacts of proposed projects have been adequately analyzed and disclosed.
- Litigate cases in which a dispute has arisen as to whether the environmental review for a given project was appropriate.
- Work with federal and state agencies to comply with the Endangered Species Acts.
- Strategize with clients as to the highest and best use of their properties under existing and contemplated land use regulations.
- Work with clients to navigate the entitlement process and get all necessary approvals for new development
- Analyze compliance of existing buildings with land use regulations.
- Develop strong working relationships among stakeholders, including developers, community groups, and decision makers.
- Assist property owners to understand and comply with rent control and associated regulations affecting multi-family properties.
- Litigate petitions for rent adjustment and capital improvement projects under rent control ordinances.
- Monitor local and state regulatory changes and participate in legislative processes to protect clients’ long-term interests.
- Develop and maintain working relationships among property owners, community groups, local agency staff, and decision makers.
- Protect the public’s rights to know the government’s business under the Public Records Act, Brown Act, Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act and local sunshine ordinances.
- Monitor regulatory changes and participate in legislative processes that affect clients’ businesses.
- Trial court and appellate litigation challenging governmental action, including project approvals, environmental review, and legislative changes.
- Litigation under CEQA, California Planning & Zoning Law, Endangered Species Act, Brown Act, Public Records Act, Coastal Act, Subdivision Map Act, constitutional claims, local ordinances, and rent control (Petris Act and Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act).
- Negotiate transactions to facilitate infill development by public/private partnerships.
- Secure land use entitlements and ensure compliance with the requirements for environmental review for residential and mixed-use public/private partnerships.